Tips to Help Drivers Stay Safe on the Road this Memorial Day Weekend
As families across the country get ready to kick off the summer and honor our military heroes this Memorial Day weekend, MADD urges motorists to stay safe on the road during a time of year when drunk driving deaths typically increase. Over Memorial Day weekend in 2010, 158 people were killed in drunk driving crashes nationwide.
Here are five tips for safe driving over the holiday weekend and year-round:
- Plan a safe way home. Arrange a sober ride home, or offer to be the sober designated driver.
- Wear a seat belt. Seat belt usage is one of the best ways to stay safe on our roadways.
- Don’t call or text. Any form of impaired driving poses a serious threat to those on the road.
- Slow down. Respect all posted speed limits.
- Be aware. Pay attention to other drivers on the road and avoid those driving erratically.
Law enforcement agencies across the country will be intensifying their efforts over the holiday weekend, so MADD encourages drivers to utilize these tips, which have the power to save lives and prevent injuries.