5 Great Apps to Improve Your Car IQ
Phone apps are stepping up their game, providing even more benefits for commuters.
Whether you’re cruising in a new Maserati or your beloved beater, here are five apps that can help you drive smarter.
- GasBuddy: Free. You’re on an unfamiliar highway and low on gas. You stop at the first gas station and fill up, only to find a cheaper station a few miles down. Well, GasBuddy eliminates overpaying, giving you extra change for that stick of gum or candy bar.
- Car Minder Plus: $2.99. Instead of searching inside your dash for your receipts, you can keep all your car’s records in one place and access them instantly with this app. Knowing exactly when you last had your oil changed or air filter replaced can save you time and money.
- Waze: Free. The beloved community-sourced app just got better. Now it’s helping you avoid crossing busy intersections with no lights, once the bane of their navigation algorithm. Available only in Los Angeles for now, Waze plans to roll it out soon for the rest of the world.
- iOnRoad: $0.99. For those who don’t have a forward collision warning system, this app is a helpful substitute. Using your phone’s camera and GPS, it calculates how long it would take for a collision with the car in front of you. A color coded warning system lets you know when you’re tailgating dangerously.
- CarCorder: $1.99. Carcorder turns your phone into a dashcam — capable of recording your drives, switching between multiple resolutions, tracking your location, and even alerting you when you’re driving too fast. A handy tool for recording fender benders, or particularly scenic rides.
Check out all these apps in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. When you’re ready to take your apps on the road, visit the AskPatty Auto Buying Service to find your perfect ride.