Tips for Tailgating Indoors for Sunday’s Big Game
Sit back, relax, and imagine you’re at the Big Game. You can hear the screams of the crowd go wild as your team scores a touchdown, breaking a tie in the game and putting them ahead. This year, AskPatty is sharing some tips to help you forget you’re in your Lazy Boy and feel like you’re really at the game when you bring your tailgate indoors.
Whether you’re looking for a couple tasty recipes, or an alternative to the game itself, we’ve got a few ideas here to help you enjoy Super Bowl Sunday even more.
According to Johnsonville, the leader in sausage, chicken wings, guacamole, chili, and cheesy dips were America’s top choices for Super Bowl entertaining last year. This year, try something with a little more taste and talk value like a Brat Hot Tub in a slow cooker. Grill or broil your brats before the game, then keep them fresh throughout the game in your slow cooker with an ingredient you’ll already have on hand… beer.
What You’ll Need:
1 large slow cooker
3-4 cans (12 ounces each) beer (depending on the size of your slow cooker)
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced into rings (you can add colorful bell peppers if you like them too)
What to Do:
Pour in the beer, add butter & onions first, then turn slow cooker on high
Heat a grill pan or heavy skillet to medium high and grill or sear the brats on all sides (Brats are fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 160F)
Add your Johnsonville Brats to the slow cooker and heat until the brats are cooked Place through, about 2 hours
Reduce heat to low to keep the brats hot throughout the game
When folks are ready for seconds or thirds -- or even when stragglers show up late --grab a Johnsonville Brat out of this indoor hot tub and enjoy!
Want to make your tailgate tidbits taste even better? Try these sweet and spicy sauces from Henry's Humdingers. Made from natural honey and flavored with spicy seasonings, these yummy sauces ($6 for 6 ounces, $9 for 13 ounce jars) play on the juxtaposition of sweet and savory. Featuring unique flavors such as "Grumpy Grandpa" which is a favorite blend of cayenne and garlic; "Naughty Nana" which takes the spice of ginger and mixes it with pepper; "Diabolical Dad," featuring a kick of habanero and lime; and the milder "Phoebe’s Fireball," a mouth-watering combination of cinnamon and chipotle, there is a honey flavor for every palate. I've tried all these flavors, and trust me, they're awesome. Their website has a downloadable cookbook full of tasty recipes that can be made with the sauces, which is where we found this recipe for his “Icarus chicken wings” that will bite you back.
With a portion of the proceeds from each sale being donated to The Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees, any buyer can feel good knowing they're helping to make a difference with each purchase of Henry’s Humdingers.
What You’ll Need:
20 chicken wings
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
6 ounces jar Diabolical Dad
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
ranch dressing, for serving
What to Do:
Preheat the oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
In a large bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, salt, and white pepper. Put the wings in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess and let set on a plate.
In a large pot, heat several inches of vegetable oil to 350° F. When the oil is heated, put the wings in the flour mixture a second time, again shaking off the excess.
Deep fry the wings until crispy and golden brown, about 12 minutes. While wings are frying, mix the Diabolical Dad, and brown sugar in a large bowl until mixture is smooth. Remove the wings from the oil, pat dry and then dip in the Diabolical Dad sauce mixture to coat.
Lay the wings on the baking sheet. Bake coated wings until the sauce is dry, about 12 minutes.
Serve hot with ranch dressing.
12 Must-Have Apps for Game Day 2015
Everyone knows that the Super Bowl isn't just for football fanatics. Whether you're watching just for the commercials or Katy Perry halftime show, or looking to break out a brand new recipe for party guests to try, your smartphone can be your best friend for the big event.
Here are 12 great apps consumers should download right now to make Super Bowl 2015 the best yet:
1. NFL Homegating - With a countdown to kickoff letting you know how long you have until guests arrive and tons of in-app recipes to choose from, you can throw together the ultimate Super Bowlparting from the comfort of your own home. Available on: iOS & Android
2. Ibotta - Football fans and the leading free mobile shopping and savings app make the perfect team for planning this year's big game party on a budget. From beer, chips and dips to wings, plates and decorations, Ibotta users can fill their pockets with real cash just for buying their game day favorites! Available on: iOS & Android
3. New England Patriots Mobile - The official app of the New England Patriots gives fans instant access to all of the latest news, media and in-depth game details. Get access to on-demand and LIVE video and audio broadcasts straight to your phone! Available on: iOS & Android
4. Tom Brady - For the fan of Tom Brady this is you our one stop to stay on top of all things Tom Brady. From gossip to stats, no need to search the web- it's all here! Available on: Android
5. Thuuz - Not every Super Bowl is a great game and not every moment is worth watching, but Thuuz will tell you exactly when to tune in. Track the big game to tell you when things are starting to heat up. By offering a ranking on a scale of 0 to 100, Thuuz tells you just how interesting the game is, so you know when to flip to it. Available on: iOS & Android
6. Seahawks Mobile - Stay up on Seahawks news with the latest articles, blogs, photos and videos directly from Seahawks.com. Follow the Seahawks social media accounts directly from within theapp. Users can share their favorite content on Twitter and Facebook from with the app. Keep up on the Seahawks with always up to date team roster, depth chart and injury report. Available on: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows
7. Katy Perry App - Stay up to date with this year's halftime performer and download the official Katy Perry Mobile App and carry all of Katy's latest songs, videos, news, pics and more with you everywhere! Available on: iOS and Android
8. PINK Nation by Victoria Secret -- Just because you aren't a football fanatic doesn't mean you don't want to look stylish for the big game! Revamp your game day wardrobe and shop PINK's official NFL collection. Available on: iOS and Android
9. Celebrity Tweets -- Don't miss a single tweet from your favorite celebrities during the big game! Check the Twitter top 100 of the most popular celebs globally and never miss what all the starts are buzzing about! Available on: Android
10. SideChef - The leading step-by-step cooking app is entering the homes of football fans everywhere this Super Bowl with fun recipes from the world’s top chefs, bloggers and foodies. With over 1,200 recipes to choose from, cooks can prepare hearty or healthy snacks, dips, burgers and drinks. Filtering for ingredient, region or dietary restrictions, SideChef will make sure you score a touchdown this game day. SideChef has all your culinary needs for Super Bowl 2015. Available on: iOS & Android
11. My Bar -- No game day party is complete without the trendiest cocktails on the menu! So you have alcohol, mixers and fruits, now what? My Bar is for you. Just choose what ingredients you have and the app will show you a list of all cocktails you can enjoy and offer to your friends. Available on: Android
12. Sports Insights - Free Sports Betting App that features live odds, betting trends, scores, breaking injuries and more. You'll know which team the public is betting and which team the sharp money is on. Available on: iOS & Android
GMC kicked off Super Bowl XLIX week with a commencement parade of specially designed Yukon Denali vehicles with cheerleaders from the Arizona Cardinals, and the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps which led up to the arrival of the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
Thirty-two NFL themed GMC Yukon Denalis were unveiled at 2015 NFL Experience. There are 600 GMCs on the ground in Phoenix between display and transportation services. 2015 marks the fourth year GMC and the NFL are partnering to host the Super Bowl NFL Experience.
Each one of the thirty-two GMC Yukon Denalis are branded to represent one NFL team. NFL Experience, engineered by GMC, is the NFL’s interactive theme park which celebrates the history of the sport and electrifying atmosphere of Super Bowl XLIX. NFL Experience returns to Arizona for the first time since 2008 and will be open to the public for nine consecutive days Saturday, Jan. 24 - Sunday, Feb. 1 at the Phoenix Convention Center. If you’re in the Phoenix area, you’ll definitely want to stop by as part of your Super Bowl Party prep. Visitors to the NFL Experience will have opportunities to interact in a variety of ways, including signings by current and former players, a green-screen photo experience that will allow fans to be seen on the stadium’s Jumbotron, and a special kiosk where fans can insert themselves into their own customized “Madden 15” game box cover.